Ajith Jose

 


Even in my wildest dreams, I never thought that one day my best buddy would become a stranger.

His name is Ajith Jose.

Ajith was not just my best friend from college. He was like a brother to me. Sometimes, he was even like a mentor. He was the person I could call when I was confused, worried, angry, or simply had something stupid to share.

During our college days, we were almost always together. We travelled, explored places, did crazy and adventurous things, laughed at the most ridiculous things, and created memories that I thought would stay with us forever.

Even after college, nothing really changed.

Whenever we got time, we met. Whenever something was bothering me, I called him. I shared my worries, anxieties, failures, and random thoughts with him. He never seemed tired of listening. He would patiently hear me out and then give me his advice.

And whenever he was going through something difficult, I tried to be there for him too.

There was one thing about Ajith that I always admired.

His relationship with his brothers.

They were extremely close. They spoke openly about almost everything. They joked with each other, discussed their problems, and were not afraid to show affection.

I remember seeing Ajith kiss his brothers sometimes.

For me, that was something very touching.

I have never had that kind of emotional openness with my own brother. So whenever I saw Ajith and his brothers together, I felt that their bond was something special.

I never imagined that this very closeness would one day become connected to the biggest misunderstanding between Ajith and me.


The Trip

This happened during one of the lowest periods of our lives.

I had failed to clear the UPSC prelims.

Ajith had quit his job.

Both of us were mentally disturbed. We were worried about our futures and were not really in a good state of mind.

One day, we decided that instead of sitting at home thinking about our problems, we should go somewhere.

We needed a break.

We needed to breathe.

So we planned a small trip.

Kattappana and Kumily.

Ajith's younger brother also joined us.

At that time, it felt like the perfect plan.

Three friends travelling together, away from our problems, just trying to forget everything for a few days.

When we reached Kumily, we checked into a hotel. We went on a jeep safari and explored the area.

For those few hours, everything felt normal.

We laughed.

We explored.

We enjoyed the trip.

For a little while, none of us were thinking about UPSC, jobs, money, family pressure, or the future.

That night, after dinner, we returned to the hotel.

I was completely exhausted.

I went to sleep.

Ajith and his younger brother went outside the room and started talking.

Initially, I didn't pay much attention.

But after some time, I heard Ajith's voice getting louder.

Then I realized something was wrong.

He was crying.

I could hear the desperation in his voice.

Ajith had resigned from his job, and he had very little money left in his bank account. His parents were worried because he was no longer earning.

His younger brother was trying to console him.

I don't know exactly how long they talked.

Eventually, they came back into the room.

I tried to comfort Ajith too.

He told us that he wanted to end the trip and go back home because of his financial situation.

I told him not to.

I tried to convince him that going back immediately and sitting alone with all those thoughts would only make things worse.

"Let's finish the trip," I told him.

"At least for these few days, forget everything."

I genuinely believed the trip could help him.

And, for a while, it seemed like it had.


The Bus Journey

After the trip, we started our journey back home by bus.

Ajith was sitting in another seat and eventually fell asleep.

His younger brother and I were sitting together.

We started talking.

It was one of those long conversations that happen during a journey when everyone is relaxed.

We spoke about Ajith's problems.

We spoke about family.

We spoke about our college days.

We remembered the stupid adventures we had done together.

We even talked about our college crushes.

Nothing seemed unusual.

At some point, the conversation turned towards Ajith's elder brother.

Earlier, Ajith had once told me about his elder brother's relationship.

His elder brother had gone through a breakup and had suffered from depression.

I remembered this.

And because of what I had seen between the three brothers, I had always assumed that they were extremely open with each other.

I thought they discussed everything.

So, without thinking much about it, I casually asked his younger brother about his elder brother.

I asked whether he had recovered and how he was doing now.

His younger brother looked confused.

He told me that he didn't know about any such thing.

I was surprised.

But I didn't think much about it.

The journey continued.

Eventually, we reached home.

We said goodbye.

And that was it.

Or at least, I thought it was.

I had no idea that a simple question I had asked during that bus journey was about to destroy a friendship that had taken years to build.


Two Days Later

Two days after we returned, I received a voice message from Ajith.

It was filled with anger.

And abusive words.

He asked me what I had told his younger brother.

I was completely confused.

I had no idea what he was talking about.

At first, I thought maybe he was angry because I had mentioned his college crush.

I called him.

But he was furious.

Then I understood what had happened.

The issue was about his elder brother's past relationship.

It was something that was never supposed to be revealed to the younger brother.

His elder brother had been advising the younger brother about relationships.

During an argument, the younger brother brought up the elder brother's past relationship.

And that was the problem.

Because that secret was supposed to be known only to Ajith and his elder brother.

Not the younger brother.

Not even their parents.

Nobody else.

And the person who had told me that secret was Ajith himself.

He had trusted me enough to share it with me.

And I had unknowingly revealed it.

Not because I wanted to.

Not because I wanted to create a problem.

Not because I wanted to betray him.

I simply assumed something that wasn't true.

I assumed that because the brothers were so close, they must have discussed everything with each other.

I was wrong.

Completely wrong.

And by the time I realized my mistake, the damage had already been done.

Something serious must have happened at his home because of it.

Ajith was extremely angry with me.

And I understood why.


1 year of Silence

Since June 2025, Ajith has never called me.

No message.

No phone call.

Nothing.

It has been around 1yr.

1yr of silence.

The strange thing is that once upon a time, this was the person I spoke to about almost everything.

Now, if I saw him somewhere, I don't even know what I would say.

How do you talk to someone who was once your closest companion and has now become a stranger?

How do you explain that you never intended to hurt him?

How do you explain a mistake that cannot be taken back?

I don't know.

Maybe there is no perfect explanation.


For a long time, I kept thinking about what happened.

I kept telling myself:

"I didn't mean to do it."

And that is true.

I genuinely didn't.

But eventually, I understood something important.

Trust is not only about intention. It is also about responsibility.

When someone tells you something in confidence, it doesn't matter what you think about the information.

It doesn't matter whether you believe other people already know it.

It doesn't matter whether you think it is harmless.

If someone trusted you with something, you carry a responsibility to protect it.

I failed at that.

Not intentionally.

But I failed.

And perhaps that is one of the hardest things to accept.

Sometimes we hurt people without wanting to hurt them.

Sometimes we break something without realizing that we were holding something fragile.

And sometimes, by the time we understand what we have done, it is already too late.


Losing a Brother

Ajith was not just a friend.

He was a brother I chose for myself.

That is why losing this friendship hurts differently.

It isn't the argument that hurts the most.

It is the silence.

The silence that came after years of conversations.

The silence after countless memories.

The silence from someone who once knew almost everything about me.

I sometimes think about our college days.

The adventures.

The laughter.

The trips.

The stupid conversations.

The problems we solved together.

The problems we couldn't solve.

And I wonder how something that once felt so strong could disappear so suddenly.

Maybe friendships are more fragile than we think.

We spend years building them, but sometimes a single moment is enough to change everything.



If I could go back to that bus journey, I would ask myself one simple question before speaking:

"Are you absolutely sure he knows this?"

I didn't ask that question.

I assumed.

And that assumption cost me something very precious.

I don't know whether Ajith and I will ever become friends again.

Maybe one day we will talk.

Maybe we won't.

Maybe he has already moved on.

Maybe I should too.

But I don't want to forget what this experience taught me.

I learned to be more careful with people's secrets.

I learned that closeness does not give us permission to assume boundaries.

I learned that knowing someone's personal story is a responsibility, not a privilege.

And most importantly, I learned that trust is not measured only by what we intend to do. It is also measured by what we do with what people entrust to us.

I never wanted to create a problem.

I never wanted to hurt Ajith.

But intentions cannot always undo consequences.

Some mistakes cannot be undone.

Some words cannot be taken back.

Some friendships may never return to what they once were.

And sometimes, all we can do is accept what happened, learn from it, and carry the lesson forward.

I lost a friend.

I lost a brother I had chosen for myself.

And perhaps I will always carry some sadness because of that.

But I also carry a lesson that I will never forget:

Trust, once broken—even unintentionally—changes everything.

And sometimes, letting go with honesty and self-awareness is the only way to move forward, even when a part of you still wishes you could go back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lilykutty Teacher

Later Never Came

Cold Chemistry